Russia decided to delay the return of three astronauts on board of the International Space Station (ISS) after the failure of its supply spaceship. Space official Vladimir Solovyov said that those 3 were supposed to land on Thursday
Russia decided to delay the return of three astronauts on board of the International Space Station (ISS) after the failure of its supply spaceship.
Space official Vladimir Solovyov said that those 3 were supposed to land on Thursday, but now they had to wait for a while as the landing was put off until early July. He also added that the replacing mission, which include another trio of astronauts, has been postponed till July as well.
After reentering the Earth’s atmosphere, the out-of-control unmanned supply ship Progress M-27M burnt up last week. Russian experts claimed that the disaster was caused by a problem with the third stage of the Soyuz launch vehicle.
Mr Solovyov said that the crew members have been already informed about a delay and they agreed to spend another months working on an orbit. Besides, he added that another Progress spaceship will be sent to the ISS and if everything goes according to plan, other three astronauts are to fly to the space station for replacement in July.
Three Russians, two Americans and an Italian national are currently being on board the ISS.
Talking about loosen spaceship, it was launched from Kazakhstan on 28 April. Later the control of the Progress cargo ship, which was carrying to the ISS approximately three tonnes of supplies together with water, fuel and oxygen, was lost and it burned up over the Pacific.
However, despite the loss of Progress, there are enough supplies for astronauts to be able to wait until another expected delivery, according to the Russian officials.
Russian losses were estimated to be approximately valued at 2.59bn roubles ($50.7m; £32.9m).