Inappropriate inspection may be the cause of two children deaths

Inappropriate inspection may be the cause of two children deaths

Two little children, Christianne Shepherd, seven, and her brother Robert, six, died from poisoning of monoxide in Corfu during the holiday. Their father accused Thomas Cook, who inspected a faulty boiler.

Two little children, Christianne Shepherd, 7, and her brother Robert, 6, died from poisoning of monoxide in Corfu during the holiday. Their father accused Thomas Cook, who inspected a faulty boiler. 

This fatal accident happened in October 2006, but the children’s parents are still trying to find the truth. The father told Wakefield Coroners’ Court that their death paralyzed him with guilt and later he shed tears describing his son as perfect and the daughter as feisty and loving. To be truth, Jack Shepherd had since suffered from memory problems and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Both children were complaining of feeling unhealthy after the family arrived at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel on 23 October, having previously booked the holiday with their tour operator Thomas Cook. On the 26 October the maid found the children dead, while their parents were in coma.

Later Mr. Shepherd discovered and told in the court that the previous occupants of their bungalow had been poisoned the same way with carbon monoxide.

The parents later narrated that on that dreadful day their daughter had a headache and the same feeling had Mrs Shepherd, who also felt sick and dizzy. Both children were feeling bad and the parents decided to go and comfort them before losing consciousness themselves. In the morning Mrs Shepherd was found laying next to her son with an arm, placed on his hair just as to calm him and made sleep well.

The later inspections showed that the boiler in Shepherd’s bungalow had been incorrectly installed. The tests revealed that the carbon monoxide levels in the children’s bloodstreams were 56.8 and 60.7% respectively, when it is known that levels above 50% are fatal.

Mr Shepherd believe that his children would be alive now if Thomas Cook had made appropriate inspection of those boilers.

'.__('Tagged with',THEME_DOMAIN).'
  • ','
  • ','
'); ?>

Tags: