Florida warns about rare fatal bacteria in seawater that killed 2

Florida warns about rare fatal bacteria in seawater that killed 2

This bacteria wasn’t determined as ‘flesh-eating’. However, two people’s death was caused by while the infection was found in 7 other.

This bacteria wasn’t determined as ‘flesh-eating’. However, two people’s death was caused by while the infection was found in 7 other.

The potentially fatal bacteria is called Vibrio vulnificus. If there are open wounds then it can spread through direct contact with seawater. Besides, eating raw shellfish is also rather dangerous because of possible infection, according to the Mara Burger, a spokesperson of Florida Health Department.

After Vibrio Vulnificus is ingested, the symptoms would be abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting. If the bacteria is absorbed through the skin, different infections or even skin ulcers can be caused even in spite of the fact that the bacteria isn’t a ‘flesh-eating’.

For those human beings who are healthy, the symptoms are mostly mild and completely treatable with antibiotics. But for people with health problems and compromised immune system Vibrio Vulnificus poses a grate risk and can be even fatal. That bacteria can invade the bloodstream, causing fever, chills, blistering skin lesions, septic shock, or leading to death.

Despite the fact that there were only 32 cases detected during last year, it is recommended to eat shellfish only after thorough cooking. Besides, the  Florida Health Department advises to avoid the seawater with even small wounding or cuts on the skin.

 

'.__('Tagged with',THEME_DOMAIN).'
  • ','
  • ','
'); ?>

Tags: